Lead Hand - Mulch, Gravel and Firewood Retail Yard
We are looking for someone who wants to be part of a team providing quality firewood to help our community affordably heat their homes.
Start/end date: Minimum of May 3rd to August 11th, Maximum April 17th to September 1th
Hours per week: 40 to 50 hours per week including some weekends
Hourly wage: Between $17.00 to $22.00/Hour depending on experience/performance
Work Location: 242 Beaver Bank Road, Beaver Bank, Nova Scotia
Supervisor: Robin Barrett, President
This is job is for someone who wants to use both their head and their body. It is ideal for
someone who wants to build physical stamina, learn how to run a small business of 2 to 6
employees for 4 months and get paid between $17.00 to $22.00/hour while doing it. We are
looking for 2 people with complementary skills to assist with all aspects of the business, including product/market development, inventory control, sales/marketing/social media, accounting, safety program, human resources, logistics, operations and production. We are a hands on company, so you will also be expected to participate in all facets of the operation including production. This job will have you oversee (with supervision) the Barrett Enterprises Retail Yard, which last year did over $227,000 in sales, with the intention of continuing its growth.
Duties include, but are not limited to:
1. Helping review previous year’s performance and be part of the team that:
a. Sets targets and priorities for 2023
b. Decides areas of expansion
c. Sets up the yard and operational priorities to meet the plan objectives
2. Implementing the plan
3. Operating the yard as a key employee, performing all tasks from setting up the yard and bagging product to greeting customers, doing up receipts, and loading customers’ vehicles using our equipment
4. Taking care of customers
5. Working on yard maintenance and improvements
6. Tracking progress and adjusting as necessary
7. Ensuring the retail yard, tools, and supplies are kept clean and well organized
1. Loves working outdoors and being physically active. Able to deal with the physical nature
associated with the day to day work in a large outdoor yard, including bagging product and being able to help customers carry/lift product/materials from time to time
2. A basic understanding and ability in at least 2 of the following: accounting, budgeting,
marketing/sales, product development, scheduling, logistics and customer service
3. Good judgement and adherence to safety protocols and procedures
4. Have good depth perception and situational awareness (must be able to safely load customer vehicles with our compact loader without endangering people or equipment, we will train)
5. Able to keep accurate and legible records of materials sold, deliveries, fuel usage, inventories, down time, expenses, etc.
6. Demonstrated reliability and solid work history showing ability to be productive throughout the day with minimal supervision
7. Good attention to detail, organization, and time management skills
8. Prompt and polite customer service manner with good English skills
9. To provide own steel-toed safety boots and work gloves
10. No smoking or strongly scented products allowed in our vehicles, on our work site, or in the office
Preference will be given to those who:
1. Enjoy pushing themselves physically and/or are looking for a job that provides cross training for athletic pursuits
2. Want to make a difference and are always looking for a better way to:
a. Make things better for customers
b. Use/promote local, sustainable and renewable products
c. Reducing waste, use of single use plastics, fuel and anything that improves things for the
environment and reduces greenhouse gas emissions.
3. Have a basic knowledge of firewood, mulch and/or garden/back yard products
4. Have a passion for continuous improvement
5. Have a valid drivers licence
6. Can safely operate equipment such as a farm tractor, compact front end loader and/or forklift
7. Have current Emergency First Aid certification
8. Have additional skills that will improve the overall operation of the company
9. Are capable of helping to develop the business to the point where this position will become a full time
- Start Date: Preferred by April 24th but no later than May 3rd. End date can by any time between August 11th and September 1th. We are a small company and have no medical or pension plan.
As a forestry company overtime is not applicable.
- The work site is at 242 Beaver Bank Road, Beaver Bank. While the bus comes within walking
distance of our site the schedule will make using the bus difficult, since the yard opens before the bus arrives in the morning.
Please provide a cover letter, resume, and a copy of your transcript to date to:
Barrett Enterprises Limited
Mail: 20 Maplewood Court, Beaver Bank, NS B4G 1B6
Applications must be received by February 28, 2023.